Your home is your safe haven, and it provides you protection from the outside elements. While you likely feel you are free from danger within its walls, there could be a silent killer infiltrating your home. Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is odorless and invisible, and you and your family could be at risk without ever knowing. Knowledge is power, and there are some things about this common killer that can offer you the protection you deserve. Addison Smith Heating, Cooling and Plumbing wants you to know the facts so you can protect yourself and your family.
Carbon Monoxide Death Statistics
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 150 people die annually as a result of exposure to carbon monoxide released from products within the home. This colorless, odorless, poisonous gas can become exposed as a result of accidents or malfunctions, and it can happen to anyone. Commonly caused by faulty units, incorrect ventilation, and fuel-burning appliances, the following can be the catalyst for a dangerous problem:
- Water heaters
Symptoms of CO Poisoning
While the carbon monoxide itself cannot be detected using the five senses, there are symptoms you should be aware of that indicate a potential problem. Among the common indicators include:
- Light headache
- Shortness of breath
- Blurry vision
It is worth noting that carbon monoxide poisoning is especially dangerous for those who are sleepy or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You can experience symptoms without knowing and find yourself in a fatal situation before help can be administered. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, get fresh air and seek medical help immediately.
Precautions You Should Take
You don’t have to live in fear of carbon monoxide dangers. Among the precautions Newnan, GA residents can take include:
- Having a furnace inspection every year
- Buying and installing a CO detector
- Avoiding running a generator in an enclosed area
For more information or a furnace safety inspection, call Addison Smith at 770-832-9006.